Create your signature scent.
Scent workshops in a Maltese farmhouse learning the art and alchemy of perfumery.
At the end of the workshop, you take away your botanical creation bottled as a 10ml Eau de Parfum along with a new-found passion for natural perfumery!
Who would enjoy it?
Perfumery classes offer a novel, creative, fascinating activity for just about anyone. Early in my own training, I came across a diversity of people on perfumery courses, all drawn together by their curiosity for perfume. On one course, I met a UN lawyer from Geneva, an orchestra conductor from Berlin, a yoga trainer from Italy, a sculptor, a good few artists, an author, a language teacher, a head of a charity, and a doctor.
Once you start delving into the fascinating world of how we perceive and interpret smell – and even science is still out on exactly how we ‘unlock’ scent molecules – there is no stopping you.
Whatever your interest in perfume to date, your walk of life or age, in learning about perfumery you can find a common bond with new friends and rekindle your childlike sense of curiosity. It’s surprising just who admits to having a secret passion for perfume once you tell them you’re going on a perfumery course.
Perfumery workshops are ideal scent events for:
- Hen parties;
- Birthday celebrations or other milestones in life;
- Friends seeking a group activity and new learning experience;
- Incentive activities for small corporate groups;
- Visitors to Malta wishing to try an unusual activity while on vacation; and
- Simply as great fun for anyone any time of year.
What you do
You’ll join me, Liz Grech, in my Perfume Studio in a Maltese village farmhouse for a 4-hour workshop creating your own signature scent. After an introduction to perfume history and fragrance families, you train your nose, meet your raw materials – a range of all-natural fragrance oils and materials – and get to grips with the basis of perfume construction.
After refreshments in the courtyard herb garden, you start work on your signature scent. First, you devise your perfume’s theme drawing inspiration from special moments, places and people, or perhaps look to Mediterranean botanicals or Malta itself for your muse. Then, comes the magic of scent creation as you translate your vision into your very own perfume.
At the end of the workshop, you take away your botanical creation bottled as a 10ml Eau de Parfum in a velvet pouch – along of course with a new-found passion for natural perfumery!
- Venue: village house in Malta
- Duration: 4 hours, 0900 – 13.00 (other times by arrangement).
- Refreshments: 2 coffee/tea breaks; water, soft drinks & biscuits available throughout.
- Language: English (can provide basic interpretation in Italian, French and German)
- Fee: €97 per person
- Group size: min. 2 and max. 8 people
- Extras: Designed workbook with workshop notes and exercises
- Outcome: Create your own three-accord 10ml Eau de Parfum to take away.
0900 Welcome Coffee & Meet the Perfume Makers
Part 1: 09.15 – 10.15
- Brief history of perfume, fragrance families, fragrance extraction.
- How we smell / or don’t smell! (the no smell game).
- Train your Nose – practical.
- The Perfumer’s Music: Discovering accords (top, heart and base notes)
10.15 – 10.30: refreshments
Part 2: 10.30 – 13.00
- Mind-map your signature scent
- Explore, define and select your perfumery materials
- Blend your accords (the maths & the magic!)
- Creating and adding finishing touches to your natural perfume
- Time for Questions